You’ve just found the perfect cot for your nursery - amazing! It’s just what you envisioned, but a bit of an investment, so you heave a sigh of relief as you mentally check that off your ‘to-buy’ list.
Just as you’re about to pay however, the cashier throws you a curveball and asks which mattress you would like with it. Innerspring, foam, ventilated, high end, low end? You were sure you had thought of everything, but a mattress hadn’t even crossed your mind. Don’t cots come with a mattress anyway?
A baby (or toddler) mattress can easily become an afterthought following a bassinet/ cot purchase, when in reality, the mattress will have a far more significant impact on your child’s sleep and early development. Choosing the best mattress for your child is worth the same, if not more, research as a cot or pram.
You, like many other parents, may also be concerned about purchasing a good quality baby mattress when they outgrow them so fast. So, what do babies need, and is it really worth investing in an expensive mattress for your child?
Sleep and early development go hand in hand
Nothing tops a good night’s sleep in those first few months. More than a treat for tired parents, quality sleep is essential for your baby’s development right through to adulthood. It’s during sleep that your child’s brain develops the foundations of everything from learning, to forming memories, to health, emotions, and even future behaviour.
It’s also during sleep that your child grows physically. Ensuring that their head and spine is correctly supported from day one is an investment into your child’s future. The early years are a short but transformative period of significant growth, where the right mattress can help your little one thrive.
What do babies need to sleep well?
- Firmness to reduce the risk of suffocation (adhering to the voluntary test for firmness AS/NZS 8811.1:2013)
- The correct size to ensure there are no gaps between the mattress and cot on any edge
- Clean and in good condition
How to tell if a higher priced mattress is worth it
When it comes to choosing the right mattress for a baby, we cannot over-emphasise the importance of safety for your little one. A baby’s airway and lungs are particularly delicate systems that need careful consideration every time you put them down to sleep - especially for night sleeps when you (hopefully) won’t be awake yourself to constantly monitor them.
It’s crucial to ensure the mattress is clean, firm, and the correct size with no gaps.
From there, the same basic principles as when choosing a mattress for yourself apply. Consider comfort, design and construction, as well as the quality of materials. You may also want to consider whether it has been locally made or imported, which can all contribute to a mattress’s price tag.
- Safety: many parents feel anxious about their child's safety while sleeping.
↳ Look for ventilation channels for maximum breathability, reinforced edges to prevent your baby from slipping down the sides, a firm core, whether the mattress has been tested against stringent safety standards, and even whether custom sizes can be ordered if your cot or bassinet is an unusual size to avoid any hazardous gaps.
- Support and comfort assist with safe, quality sleep (for baby and subsequently, their parents).
↳ Look for quality materials in both the mattress core and cover fabric, ventilation channels for airflow and temperature regulation, as well as a firm core for correct support.
- Material quality can assist with everything from allergies, to sensitive skin, to protection from bacteria, optimal support, and even the mattress’s longevity if you plan to use it for future children.
↳ Look for keywords like hypoallergenic or PermaGuard, sustainability, and natural/ organic fabrics.
- Australian-made: Not only does Australia have some of the highest safety standards in the world, but by choosing Australian-made you avoid the risks (both known and unknown) associated with importing such delicate products. You’re also choosing local materials of high quality, fair trade (made by Australian mums and dads receiving fair wages), not to mention you’re supporting the local economy and keeping skilled workers. Read our blog explaining the benefits of choosing Australian made to learn more.
↳ Look for the official Australian made logo.
It’s important to understand that you typically get what you pay for. If you want high quality products that are safe, hypoallergenic, will last, and are sustainably sourced and manufactured, the price will reflect that.
That all sounds great, but why invest in an expensive mattress when my baby will outgrow it in a matter of months?
Did you know that on average, children will spend approximately 65% of their first 12 months sleeping, as well as 50% over the following 3-4 years? It may not be long in a traditional sense, but it certainly is the majority of their first few months and years. When considering such a significant portion of their early lives, choosing the right mattress will help your baby sleep better, for longer, encouraging that crucial early development.
For best value for money and longevity of use, consider a dual-sided mattress. The Babyrest DuoCore bamboo cot mattress is a great example of this; made right here in Australia, the dual-sided mattress has been engineered to offer a Baby Side (optimally designed for use from birth to approximately 12kg/ 2 years), which can then easily be flipped over to a Toddler Side with increased firmness to support your child through to their first big bed. Learn more about the DuoCore’s features and benefits here.
Why choose a Babyrest mattress?
Established in 1976, Babyrest is a third-generation Australian family-owned business specialising in quality baby products. Babyrest offers a range of carefully designed mattresses to choose from, including ventilated, foam and innerspring options.
Because the majority of our bedding range is made right here in Melbourne by Aussie mums and dads, our mattresses can be custom cut to suit the size of your cot or bassinet. We use only the best materials, so you can count on safety, quality and optimal comfort for your little one when you choose Babyrest.
In this article we’ve explored the importance of sleep for development, what babies need from a mattress, why expensive mattresses are normally worth it, and finally, how our Australian-made Babyrest mattresses have been expertly engineered to support your little one as they grow.
When it comes to a good night’s sleep, can you afford to not buy the right mattress for your child?
Learn more about mattresses from our experts:
- Cot mattress buying guide
- Cot mattress: foam or innerspring?
- Introducing the DuoCore Bamboo cot mattress
- Introducing the ComfiCore cot mattress
- How this Aussie mum finally found the perfect cot mattress
- Should I buy a foam cot mattress? Dispelling common misconceptions
- Babyrest DuoCore mattress receives 100% CHOICE
- What most parents overlook when preparing for their new baby
- What makes bamboo bedding so great for babies?
Anstel has a team of passionate expert representatives. Get in touch with us today with any questions about your mattress purchase.