How do I unpack my Mattress-in-a-Box?
1. Remove mattress from box, and remove outer bag
2. Locate the end of the rolled mattress. Nearby the end of the mattress, tear the blue paper tape and allow the mattress to unroll
3. Once the mattress has unrollder, carefully cut the end of the bag with scissors, avoiding contact with the mattress fabric
4. Allow the mattress to expand
5. Remove the bag and leave the mattress on a flat surface for up to 2 days to fully expand to normal shape
6. After this time, the mattress may remain a little curved for some time, however once the mattress is placed on the mattress base it will flatten out and be ready for use
The mattress feels softer than other mattresses I have compared it with, is it safe for my baby?
The ComfiCore mattress has been independently tested by a certified test laboratory in Australia and it passes the AS/NZS 8811.1:2013 Test for Firmness. Mattresses in Australia are not required to meet this standard by law. It is a voluntary standard that has been developed to provide consumers with extra information in relation to the safety of their mattress. This test involves checking how far a baby sinks into the mattress. If it sinks below the recommendation, it is unsafe and does not pass the test. However, Babyrest believes that safety does not have to be at the expense of comfort. Therefore, the ComfiCore was developed to provide the right balance of support and comfort. Support, meaning that it is firm enough for your baby’s safety and provides the correct support for development of your baby. Comfort, meaning it provides the right surface for your baby to have comfortable sleep. Many mattresses in Australia would pass the firmness test, but they don’t provide the level of comfort your baby deserves.
Is polyurethane foam a safe product for the core of my mattress? I have read negative information regarding VOC’s released from foam.
Yes. The foam used in the ComfiCore cot mattress is safe for your baby. The foam has been independently certified by Global Greentag as being ‘Considered Safe to Use’ and having ‘Healthy VOC levels’. Most products would emit some VOC’s; the ComfiCore foam has been tested to ensure the level of VOC’s is safe. You will find that most cot mattresses in Australia have an element of polyurethane foam. Some have a foam core, and most have an innerspring core with a layer of polyurethane foam to soften it.
I have read that mattresses can emit toxic fumes that are harmful to the baby. Is this true?
There is no evidence to substantiate this claim. Rednose are considered the leading authority on safe sleep in Australia. They are an independent not-for-profit organisation with a goal to reduce the number of babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers who die suddenly to 0. They have a National Scientific Advisory Group that is made up of experts in the fields of infant and child safety. Based on their research, they formed the view that there is no evidence to prove a link between ‘toxic gas’ from mattresses, and Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy (SUDI). You can read more in this article: https://rednose.org.au/article/no-evidence-to-link-toxic-gas-from-mattresses-and-sudi. You can read more about rednose here https://rednose.org.au/page/red-nose-today
I have heard that foam mattresses have to be fumigated. Will this leave chemicals in my mattress that are unsafe?
The ComfiCore cot mattress has not been fumigated. This is a common misconception. If timber furniture is imported into the country, it sometimes requires fumigation (depending on the material and the source) to ensure nothing harmful is brought into the country. It is common for furniture importers to also import mattresses and ship them together with the furniture. In the case of a shipping container with furniture and mattresses in it, where the furniture requires fumigation, the mattresses will also be fumigated. Out of this has arisen a misconception that all foam mattresses have to be fumigated. The ComfiCore however is Made in Australia. Therefore, the ComfiCore mattress is not required to be fumigated.
Why does my mattress have a strong smell after I take it out of the packaging?
The ComfiCore is shipped in an air-tight bag. Sometimes after shipping the smell will build up and be quite strong when you open the bag. This is not harmful. We recommend you take the mattress out of it’s packaging and leave it in a ventilated room for a couple of days. The smell should disappear and not come back.
Most mattresses I have looked at are innerspring mattresses. Why is a foam mattress better than an innerspring mattress?
Over the last 20 years, innerspring mattresses have been the most popular form of mattress for baby’s in Australia. However, there are some key benefits of a foam mattress that you should be aware of. Below is the composition of a typical innerspring mattress and the ComfiCore cot mattress:
- An innerspring mattress is comprised of steel springs with a steel frame around the outside to support these. The springs are often covered with a protective layer of fabric or felt, then foam for comfort and finally a fabric cover. Sometimes they will have air vents in the side, or a breathable fabric on the sides to provide ventilation.
- The ComfiCore mattress is comprised of a polyurethane foam core, with a fabric cover.
The key benefits of a foam core compared to an innerspring core are as follows:
- Comfort and support: with an innerspring core, you are not able to achieve the same level of comfort and support due to the steel springs and frame. With a foam core, you can achieve a product that provides more comfort without compromising on the support.
- Weight: the ComfiCore is about 1/3rd of the weight of an innerspring mattress
- Thickness: the ComfiCore is 95mm thick. Most innerspring mattresses are at least 120mm thick due to the size of the innerspring core. A thickness of 95mm means that it is compatible with most cots (providing a minimum distance between the top of the mattress and the top of the cot side is part of the Australian mandatory standard for cots)
The foam has been treated with Perma Guard. What is this?
Perma Guard is an anti-microbe treatment of domestic polyurethane foam. It is designed to give you long-lasting protection against a broad range of microbes that invade domestic environments and which can have adverse health effects. Perma Guard inhibits bacteria (including dust mites and golden staph), yeasts, moulds and algae. It is a safe treatment and is environmentally sound.
Should I use a mattress protector with the ComfiCore mattress?
For practicality, we recommend using a mattress protector to keep your mattress in good condition and to make it easier for you to clean up messes.
If I use a mattress protector, will this reduce the breathability of the mattress?
For a mattress protector to be effective it needs to be waterproof. If a material is waterproof it may also be marketed as ‘breathable’. However, for a material to be breathable and waterproof, it means that the holes in the material are small enough to stop water particles going through, yet large enough to let air particles through. This is a very minimal amount of air flow. Other mattress protectors have a waterproof backing with a 3D mesh on top that holds the child above the backing meaning air can still flow around it. Either way, using a mattress protector means covering up the mattress with a waterproof material that is likely to have minimum ventilation. Therefore, it is likely to reduce the breathability of the mattress. However, there are 2 key benefits of a ventilated mattress which would still apply even when a mattress protector is used.
- Hygiene: air flowing through a mattress keeps the materials fresh and hygienic.
- Temperature regulation: air flowing through a mattress helps maintain temperature and avoid accumulation of heat while your baby is sleeping. There is evidence to suggest there is a link between heat accumulation and Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy (SUDI), so it is important that the sleeping surface for your baby maintains a comfortable temperature.
I took the cover off my ComfiCore cot mattress and I notice the foam has discoloured. Why?
Foam discolours when exposed to air and sunlight. We recommend that you keep the mattress out of direct sunlight. Even when kept out of direct sunlight, it will still discolour as it has air flowing through it. The discolouration is normal and it does not affect the performance of the foam.
How can I clean my ComfiCore mattress?
Mattress core: spot clean with a sponge and warm water. Avoid excess moisture. Dry flat in the shade.
Removable cover: Gentle machine wash up to 40°C. Line dry or gentle tumble dry.